WaterSure Scheme – Are You Eligible?

October 4th, 2022 by Administrator

WaterSure is a scheme which helps some people on Welfare Benefits with their water bills. To apply for the scheme, you must need to use a lot of water either for medical reasons or because your household has a certain number of who are of a school age. You will need to be on a water meter or be waiting list to have a water meter installed.

If you are eligible for the WaterSure scheme, your water bill will be capped meaning will not pay any more than the average metered bill for the area your water company deals with.

In some cases, your normal metered water bill could already be less than your company’s WaterSure cap. If this applies to you, you will only be billed for the amount of water you use.

Dont forget, you can always ask your water company what their cap is or seek advice directly from them if you want to check the cap before applying.

Who qualifies for WaterSure?

To qualify for WaterSure you need to:

  • be on a water meter or have applied for one and be waiting for it to be installed, or be paying an assessed charge because it’s not possible to fit a meter at your property  
  • be on certain benefits – see below.
  • have a high essential use of water

Which benefits do you need to be on?

The benefits you need to be on depends on who supplies your water. Again, it may be useful to seek their criteria before starting your application.

All suppliers offer WaterSure if either you or someone in your household get one of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit awarded at a rate higher than the family element

Some water suppliers also offer WaterSure if you’re on Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments. You should check with your water company if you’re not sure if they cover these benefits.

How do I apply for WaterSure?

You can apply for WaterSure by filling out a form from your water company. You will need to supply evidence that you qualify, such as a copy of your awards notice for a benefit.

You’ll need to provide evidence of your medical condition from your doctor, including how the condition is treated and the effect it has on how much water you use.

Some companies will accept a stamp from your GP confirming your medical condition. There is space on the end of the form for a stamp, which the GP will usually give free of charge. You should check your supplier will accept a stamp before sending your application.

If your water supplier won’t accept a stamp, you’ll need to pay for a doctor’s certificate. Some water suppliers will reimburse the cost of the certificate.

Where can I find the information ation from my water company?

Please click the link below for the information provided by your water company.

Thames Water

Severn Trent Water

United Utilities

Anglian Water

Yorkshire Water

Southern Water

Northumbrian Water

Southwest Water